Thursday, June 27, 2013

Two days, two milestones

June 26, 2013:  The Supreme Court paves the way for true equality for the LGBT community, including Rebecca and me.

June 27, 2013:  Concrete is poured in our house.

I'm verklempt.

June 26, the country's looking good!


June 27, there's concrete in this photo.  Trust me.

The pouring of the concrete, I'm told, is a big deal in construction terms. Nothing can go forward without it. No sheet rock, no plumbing, no electricity, no stairs, no floors. Nothing.

However, I was under a misillusion, which isn't even a word, but you know what I mean. I thought by the end of today there would be a nice, big, flat slab of concrete that we could stand on. Or that we could stand on it when it was all dry. The dirt would be buried. The room would look room-ish.

That's another expectation that can be flushed away -- if there were a working toilet on the premises. Concrete pouring happens in stages. First the guys do a lot of carpentry.





Then some other guys pour concrete in some spaces. Then the carpentry guys do more carpentry and framing. Then more concrete gets poured. Eventually there is a slab on which we can stand. I'm told that will be in about two weeks.

I'm having a little trouble trusting the process, though, when the concrete truck bears this name:




Ahh, well. Applaud the framers of the Constitution. And the framers of our house. 

As the great legal scholar and building expert Yogi Berra put it, "The future ain't what it used to be."

Good times are coming.





No comments:

Post a Comment